Pet Poison Prevention Awareness
March is recognized as Poison Prevention Awareness Month and March 17th -23rd marks National Poison Prevention Week.
There are many common household items that can be toxic to your pet; many that you may not even realize are toxic. It can happen to even the best of pet owners and only takes a split second.What are the common signs and symptoms of pet poisoning?
What to do if you suspect your pet has been poisoned
- Black or bloody stool
- Call your veterinarian immediately. If it is after your veterinarian's hours, call the 24 Hour Emergency Vet clinic (All City Pet Care) at 605-335-4004. Make note of what toxin your think your pet may have ingested or come in contact with so your veterinarian can best help your pet.
- If you cannot speak with a vet, although we recommend you try more than once, you can call the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661. Calling these numbers do include an incident fee when you call.
- Do not attempt any treatment options to induce vomiting or absorbing the toxin without the advice of a trained professional.
Here is a list of some of the most toxic, common household items for pets.
- Over-The-Counter Medications Ibuprofen, naproxen such as Advil and Aleve, cold medications, dietary supplements, vitamins, herbal supplements.
- Human Prescription Medication ADHD medications, antidepressants such as Cymbalta and Effexor, and heart medications.
- Foods Grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, caffeine, alcohol, and Xylitol in sugarless gum and candies, as well as natural/organic peanut butters.
- Chocolate Bakers chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, large quantities of white chocolate, and baked goods.
- Veterinary Products Only use veterinary products as recommended by your veterinary, and only use on the correct species. Also, remember childproof container does not mean pet-proof!
- Household Items Paint, glue, and cleaning products such as toilet bowl or drain cleaners.
- Rodenticide Pets, along with rodents, find baits very tasty, but ingestion can be deadly for our dogs and cats just as much as it is for rodents.
- Insecticide Ant baits, bug sprays, and yard products.
- Plants Any variety of Lillies for cats,
- Garden Products Many fertilizers have herbicides or soil enhancements in them that are toxic to pets.
Below is a detailed pet poison control chart.
For more information see the following links. Any and all advice given in this article is for educational purposes only and does not replace the knowledge or advice given by a trained professional. Please see your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet has been poisoned.
Prevent Accidental Pet Poisoning - 1800PetMeds
Pet Poison Helpline
All City Pet Care Veterinary Emergency Hospital - Sioux Falls, SD
ASPCA Poison Control Center