Adoption is a really big commitment
that is greatly rewarding.
Second chances happen every day at the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society. We help find homes for thousands of animals each year and there are no time or space limits for animals in our adoption program.
Website is actively updated to reflect who has been adopted. Thank you!
CAT & DOG ADOPTION APPLICATION
SMALL ANIMAL ADOPTION APPLICATION
Applications may be filled out prior to coming to the shelter and faxed or emailed in.
Fax: (605) 332-9096
- Adoptions are same day, and are first-come, first-served as long as it's a good match! No holds or "deposits" can be placed on any animals. Since the individual needs of each animal and adopter vary, an Adoption Counselor will work with you to help you find the right match for your home. We recommend you allow ample time to learn about your new companion and complete the process. You must be 18 years old to adopt.
- A visit to the adoption center generally takes at least an hour and wait times can vary from 20 minutes to 1 hour during peak times. The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society requires a minimum of 20 minutes "get to know you time" with the animal you are hoping to adopt. Animals go home the same day as adoption.
- SFAHS does not adopt out to homes where there are unfixed animals, no matter if the species are the same or different.
- All adopters must provide a valid photo ID and proof of address (ex: utility bill). If you do not own your home, please have your property management or landlord's number available.
- We suggest coming in during non-peak hours (week-day early afternoons) as it reduces the potential for long waits.
- If you are hoping to adopt a dog and already own a dog, a dog introduction is mandatory.
- SFAHS does not adopt out to homes where animals who are not current on rabies shots live.
Rabies shots are required by law to be current.
- All unfixed animals adopted from the shelter must be spayed or neutered within 30 days of adoption, unless adopting an animal under 6 months. Animals under 6 months must be fixed within 30 days of turning 6 months old.
- The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society reserves the right to refuse any adoption.
If you fill out an application, but don't find a new best friend that day, that's ok! We will keep your approved application on file for at least 30 days.
Adoption can be an intimidating thing! Here is what will happen when you come visit the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society Adoption Center!
1. Welcome the Adoption Center! When you come in the door you can find pre-screened applications to the right of the door on the blue clipboards for dogs and cats, and pink clipboards for small animals. The SFAHS does not have open visitation, so to have access to the kennels you must be a pre-screened adopter or registered volunteer.
2. Each potential adopter's application will be reviewed by an adoption counselor and will stay on file for 30 days from your last visit. You can fill out your application ahead of time by downloading the one that is at the top of this page!
3. A photo ID with current address will be requested by the adoption counselor. If the address does not match, please bring in proof of current address (ex. utility bill or other bills). If you are currently renting, please bring the contact information for your landlord.
4. The adoption counselor will ask questions regarding your residence, family members living in the household and other animals living in the home to ensure the best match is made.
5. Once approved, you will have access to the kennels to find your new best friend! Each kennel is equipped with a card that includes basic information and a little bio about what we know about their previous lives, their personalities and what they need in their perfect home!
6. If you've found your new best friend, you will bring their card up to the adoption counselors and they will complete your adoption! No holds or "deposits" can be placed on any animal.
If you have any questions please call 605-338-4441 or Email Us!