Apply To Adopt
Adoption is a really big commitment that is greatly rewarding!
Second chances happen every day at the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society. We help find homes for thousands of animals each year and there are no time or space limits for animals in our adoption program.
- You must be 18 years old to adopt.
- All adoptions are completed the same day, and are first-come, first-served as long as it's a good match!
- No holds or deposits can be placed on any animals.
- SFAHS does not adopt out to homes where there are unfixed animals, no matter if the species are the same or different.
- All adopters must provide a valid photo ID and proof of address (ex: utility bill). If you do not own your home, please have your property management or landlord's number available. We will contact your landlord for approval at the time of your application review. We must speak with a landlord and cannot accept any brochure or paperwork about pet policies.
- If you are hoping to adopt a dog and already own a dog, a dog introduction is mandatory.
- SFAHS does not adopt out to homes where animals who are not current on rabies shots live. Rabies shots are required by law to be current.
- All unfixed animals adopted from the shelter must be spayed or neutered within 30 days of adoption unless adopting an animal under 6 months. Animals under 6 months must be fixed within 30 days of turning 6 months old.
- You may not adopt as a gift or for another person.
- The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society reserves the right to refuse any adoption.
- We recommend you allow ample time to learn about your new companion and complete the process. We require a minimum of 20 minutes "get to know you time" with the animal you are hoping to adopt.
- A visit to the adoption center generally takes at least an hour and wait times can vary from 20 minutes to 1 hour during peak times. We stop all adoptions 30 minutes before the close of business each day. We suggest coming in during non-peak hours (week-day early afternoons) as it reduces the potential for long waits.
If you fill out an application but don't find a new best friend that day, that's ok! We will keep your approved application on file for at least 30 days.
Adoption can be an intimidating thing! Here is what will happen when you come to visit the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society Adoption Center!
Didn't find a pet this time?
- Arrival: Welcome to the Adoption Center! When you come in the door you can find pre-screened applications to the East of the entrance doors. The SFAHS does not have open visitation, so to have access to the kennels you must be a pre-screened adopter or registered volunteer. You can expedite this process by filling out an application ahead of time from the link above!
- Pre-Screening: Each application will be reviewed by an adoption counselor. You will need a photo ID with current address. If the address does not match, please bring in proof of current address (ie. utility bill). If you are currently renting, please bring the contact information for your landlord. We will need to speak with your landlord to confirm pet policies. Brochures or lease papers will not be accepted. The adoption counselor may as questions regarding your residence, family members living in the household and other animals living in the home to help make recommendations on who might be a good match.
- Visiting the Animals: Once approved, you will have access to the kennels to find your new best friend! Each kennel is equipped with a card that includes basic information and a little bio about what we know about their previous lives, their personalities and what they need in their perfect home! Be prepared to spend some time here, you are required to spend 20 minutes with the animal you are interested in before any paperwork. Keep in mind, we stop all adoptions 30 minutes before closing of each business day. The average person spends 60-90 minutes at the shelter. If you are adopting a dog and already own a dog, you will be required to do a dog introduction before paperwork can be completed.
- Adopt: If you've found your new best friend, you will bring their card up to the adoption counselors and they will complete your adoption, same-day. You can also find starter kits and fun things to purchase for your new pet in our retail area!
No worries. Your approved application stays on file for 30 days from your last visit or call to the shelter. This means each time you stop within the next 30 days, you will not have to fill out paperwork again. Your application will be extended for another 30 days. If you aren't able to make it into the shelter but are still looking, just give us a call and we will keep your application active for another 30 days.
If you have any questions please call 605-338-4441 or Email Us!