Apply To Adopt
ADOPTION = DEVOTION
Anticipation. Excitement. And the feeling that comes from knowing you’re doing the right thing. They are all part of the adoption process.
Second chances happen every day at the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society. We help find homes for thousands of animals each year and there are no time or space limits for animals in our adoption program. We are dedicated to finding a lifelong home for every adoptable animal. We strive to provide a facilitative adoption process and create successful matches for adopters and the animals in our care.
- You must be 18 years old to adopt.
- All adoptions are completed the same day, and are first-come, first served as long as it's a good match!
- No holds or deposits can be placed on any animals.
- SFAHS does not adopt out to homes where there are unfixed animals, no matter if the species are the same or different.
- All adopters must provide a valid photo ID and proof of address (ex: utility bill). If you do not own your home, please have your property management or landlord's number available. We will contact your landlord for approval at the time of your application review. We must speak with a landlord and cannot accept any brochure or paperwork about pet policies.
- If you are hoping to adopt a dog and already own a dog, a dog introduction is mandatory.
- SFAHS does not adopt out to homes where animals who are not current on rabies shots live. Rabies shots are required by law to be current.
- All unfixed animals adopted from the shelter must be spayed or neutered within 30 days of adoption unless adopting an animal under 6 months. Animals under 6 months must be fixed within 30 days of turning 6 months old.
- You may not adopt as a gift or for another person.
- The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society reserves the right to refuse any adoption.
- We recommend you allow ample time to learn about your new companion and complete the process. We require a minimum of 20 minutes "get to know you time" with the animal you are hoping to adopt.
- A visit to the adoption center generally takes at least an hour and wait times can vary from 20 minutes to 1 hour during peak times. We stop all adoptions 30 minutes before the close of business each day. You must have already spent the required 20 minutes with an animal before this time. We suggest coming in during non-peak hours (week-day early afternoons) as it reduces the potential for long waits.
If you fill out an application but don't find a new best friend that day, that's ok! We will keep your approved application on file for at least 30 days.
Adoption can be an intimidating thing! Here is what will happen when you come to visit the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society Adoption Center!
Didn't find a pet this time?
- Arrival: Adopters can view adoptable pets online or at the shelter after the pre-screen application has been completed. If you are planning on adopting, please bring photo identification and a completed adopter pre-screen. Dog adopters should also plan on introducing prospective pets to all family members, people, and dogs (the cats can stay at home). The SFAHS does not have open visitation.
- Pre-Screening: One of our knowledgeable Adoption Counselors will help you get to know the pets you are considering adopting. If you are uncertain or having difficulty choosing a pet, our Adoption Counselors can make suggestions based on your application and one-on-one conversation as to which kind of animal you may want to add to your home. To complete your pre-screen you will need:
- a photo ID with current address.
- Proof of current address (ie. utility bill) if your ID isn't your current address
- Renters, please bring contact information for your landlord. We will confirm their pet
policies via a phone call. Brochures or lease papers will not be accepted.
- Visiting the Animals: Each kennel is equipped with a card that includes basic information and a little about them! A minimum of 20 minutes is the required get-to-know-you time. Keep in mind, we stop all adoptions 30 minutes before closing of each business day. You must have spent the required 20 minutes with an animal before this time.
- Adopt: Once you have met your match and your Adoption Counselor has answered your questions, we will complete the adoption process by complete ownership paperwork, providing a counseling session catered to your pet’s and family’s needs and providing you with your new pet’s information. You can also find starter kits and fun things to purchase for your new pet in our retail area!
No worries. Your approved application stays on file for 30 days from your last visit or call to the shelter. This means each time you stop within the next 30 days, you will not have to fill out paperwork again. Your application will be extended for another 30 days. If you aren't able to make it into the shelter but are still looking, just give us a call and we will keep your application active for another 30 days.
If you have any questions please call 605-338-4441 or Email Us!