ADOPTION = DEVOTION
Anticipation. Excitement. And the feeling that comes from knowing you’re doing the right thing. They are all part of the adoption process.
Second chances happen every day at the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society. We help find homes for thousands of animals each year and there are no time or space limits for animals in our adoption program. We are dedicated to finding a lifelong home for every adoptable animal. We strive to provide a facilitative adoption process and create successful matches for adopters and the animals in our care.
To see how we are currently proceeding with adoptions during COVID-19, please see curbside adoptions page.
Curbside Cat & Dog Application
Curbside Small Animal Application
Cat Adoption Fees Include:
- Vaccinations: FVRCP
- FeLV and FIV Screening
- DeWorming with Strongid or Panacur
- Nail Trim
- Some Adoptions may include Rabies Vaccinations
- Earmite & Flea Treatment with Revolution
- Microchipping with National Registration
- Most Cats Will Already Be Spayed or Neutered
- Free Owner Pet Guide and Coupons
- Seven Day Medical Exchange Policy
- Free General Health Exam at one of 87 participating Vet Offices in SD, IA, and MN
- 30 Days FREE Shelter Care Pet Insurance (available only if you have an email address)
- Pet Carrier to get your furry friend home
The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society’s adoption fees are based on an animal’s species, age, breed, temperament, and physical condition. Some animals are more desired by adopting families: small breed dogs and puppies, purebred dogs and puppies, some purebred cats and kittens, etc. These animals may be designated as ambassador pets and their higher adoption fee will help to provide quality care for all the other animals at the SFAHS.
The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society has several adoption programs designed to encourage successful matches.
Senior Pets Adoptions
Our senior pets program encourages the adoption of older companions by reducing the adoption fee of animals that are 6 years or older. Older pets make instant companions, most are already house-trained, and have grown out of pestering adolescent behaviors.
Our Benchwarmer program is for animals that have been up for adoption for more than 60 days. Their adoption fees are reduced after the 60 days.
Bonded Buddies Adoptions
Bonded Buddies Adoptions are for those animals that come to the shelter and are dependent on each other for emotional support. The adoption fees for these animals are one adoption fee for both animals. If a pair is bonded, they will be marked as such on the website and on their kennel.
Kitten Litter Mates Adoptions
If a family has chosen to take home two kittens from the same litter, one adoption fee of one of the kittens is reduced by 50%. Kittens must be of the same gender or already spayed/neutered. Adopting a pair of kittens is great not only because adopters save two lives instead of one, but because:
- Some cats rely on and have formed lasting bonds with their housemate
- Kittens are active and become bored (and troublesome) quickly; a fellow kitten gives them a constant playmate