Pet Food Bank
What is the Pet Food Bank?
The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society's Pet Food Bank is a safety net program, designed to provide resources primarily to struggling pet owners. The food bank supplies pet food for families and individuals facing economic hardship. When available, we may also have a small amount of cat litter on hand that we may be able to give out, but please call ahead.
One of the most common reasons for pet surrenders is financial difficulty, and our Pet Food Bank helps those struggling to provide for their beloved pets in their homes for short periods of time. If you utilize this program for a short period, this does not
affect your ability to adopt in the future.
SFAHS Pet Food Bank is entirely supported by community donations.
Do you need our help?
In order to help keep pets in their homes when their families are struggling financially, the Pet Food Bank is available to assist, with a monthly distribution. The Pet Food Bank can provide a household with food for up to 4 pets. If we have litter available at that time, we may be able to provide that as well, but cannot guarantee the availability of food or litter as this program is 100% community funded. In order to receive assistance at this time, please call 605-338-4441 when you arrive. The shelter is closed to the public, so at this time this is the only way to receive food from the Pet Food Bank.
- To receive assistance, please visit our shelter and provide a valid photo id.
- You can receive assistance once every 30 days.
- We do not have the means to deliver. You must visit the SFAHS shelter to receive food.
- We cannot guarantee certain brands of pet food.
- We cannot guarantee assistance will be available if our Pet Food Bank shelves are empty. We will do our best to help you.
Look here to find information about our location and hours.
- Where do I come to pick up food?
The Community Pet Food Bank is located at the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society at 3720 East Benson Road, Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104.
- Do I need to make an appointment to pick up food?
Yes, at this time we are requiring appointments to pick up food. This is to make sure we have the food you need on-hand, as our food availability depends on current donations.
- Who can use the Community Pet Food Bank?
The SFAHS Community Pet Food Bank is open to any pet owner in Sioux Falls or the surrounding areas that are experiencing economic hardships.
- Can I just show up and request food upon arrival?
To receive a donation at this time, a confirmed appointment must be scheduled ahead of time.
- Do I need to bring my pets with me?
No, but we are happy to see them if you do!
- Can I request specialty food for my pet?
We are not able to guarantee any type of pet food, as the food available in the pet food bank is based solely on donations.
- Will food be taken away from shelter animals to give to public pets?
No, not at all! The food used by the community pet food bank is donated specifically for the food bank. If you want to donate food for this program, please leave your donation at the shelter in our night receiving area. Our staff routinely checks this space during our COVID-19 closure for donations. For questions please contact email@example.com
- Do you provide cat litter?
We cannot guarantee the availability of cat litter but may be able to give some out.
Want to help?
The SFAHS Pet Food Bank accepts donations of unexpired dog and cat food (wet or dry) as well as unused litter. Donations can be dropped off at the shelter. Food must be in the original bag and must not be expired. We cannot accept food that is outside of the original bag. If you are able to reseal with tape, that is very helpful!