Thank you for looking into joining our team!
If you would like to consider volunteering, we are always on the lookout for animal lovers willing to donate their time to the pets! Visit our volunteer page.
Humane Officer (FT or PT) Seasonal Kennel Assistants Part-Time
Our Humane Officer role is a very key position in our community. The role assists and provides services out in the field in accordance with municipal contracts. Perform duties that promote compliance with laws regulating animal treatment and welfare.
FT or PT opportunity to join our team! Day, Evening, and Weekend Shifts required. Hours will vary depending on the needs of the department and coverage. On-Call is required for all Officers on a rotation. *Please do not apply if you cannot fulfill schedule requirements.
Compensation is dependent upon experience.
What you get to do!
- Humane Treatment / Animal Control
- Apprehend, transport, and lodge stray animals.
- Enforce animal control ordinances as specified in contracts with municipalities.
- Prepare documentation/reports as required.
- Transport animals as requested by Vet staff
- Set up housing for incoming animals.
- Ensure a neat, clean, and safe environment at all times.
- Assist in euthanizing animals following established protocol when necessary. Training is provided by the employer.
- Provide security as needed.
Administration and Customer Service
- Document admittance and release as needed; document issues related to animal care.
- Enter calls in the system and prepare a monthly report to Executive Director regarding call log information.
- Assist with customer billing when necessary.
- Maintain vehicle in proper/good working order; follow all driving laws and limits at all times
- Attend seminars and educational symposiums as directed by management.
- Educate public (one-on-one or groups) on animal care and laws.
- Computer experience is required. Microsoft Office, Specific Pet Software training is provided.
- Establish a working relationship with Law Enforcement and assist when needed.
What you need (Qualifications):
- High School diploma/GED required, Associates degree preferred;
- Criminal justice, Law enforcement/corrections, or other comparable experience or background desired.
- Must be willing to work various schedules and hours.
- Must be comfortable with animals, handling and caring for them. Passion for the animal is critical to this position.
- Must be at least age 21+ for this role.
- Background check is required.
- Valid SD driver's license and ability to carry appropriate insurance.
- Must complete National Animal Control Association, Level I within the first year of employment. (Company training)
- Be willing to learn and understand South Dakota laws and statutes. (Company training provided)
- Must be able to deal professionally and tactfully with customers and staff at all times.
- Must have good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to write concise reports and sound computer skills. Proper grammar and spelling are required.
- Ability to work on-call on an evening and weekend schedule.
Competitive compensation, some benefits. A fun work environment with a summer picnic, holiday parties, community events, volunteering, fundraising, and of course a huge satisfaction providing great care for our "furry" friends. You will be helping animals who are unable to help themselves.
Please send resume to : KelliL@sfhumanesociety.com
Public Relations/Special Event Coordinator
Be a part of the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society.
We are looking for a team player to grow with our team and be flexible when needed. Must have excellent work history and attendance. Excellent customer service and computer skills. Should not be afraid to get messy as this job includes working directly with animals as well as washing and scrubbing kennels on a daily basis. Primary responsibility will be cleaning and working with customers who have recently lost their animals. Our Kennel Staff are a very important part of our shelter team for the shelter's cleanliness and the animals' health.
Job Purpose: Responsible for assisting in the health and care of our animals and the cleanliness of the shelter in accordance with established procedures. This position works directly with animals and will contribute to their care, feeding, and handling.
Schedule: Shift for the Seasonal Kennel Assistant opportunity is part-time, hours ranging between 9 am-6 pm; Weekday and weekend availability required; Sunday-Thursday preferred. The pay rate is $14.75/hour. This position is a summer opportunity, running from May-September with flexibility on start/end date each year. Candidate availability is a consideration in hiring.
What you will be doing:
Animal Care — Perform daily cleaning of animal areas and feeding of animals in accordance with established procedures. Monitor appetite, hydration, stools, and vomit of all shelter animals. Other duties as assigned
Communication — Listen, pay attention, and be a responsible steward of information.
Support — Assist with animal restraint for transportation and medical procedures as required. Provide animal enrichment and complete fecal/urine collection when required. Move animals throughout the shelter as needed.
Culture — Foster an open and inclusive work environment by modeling SFAHS's behaviors and values, consistent with the vision and mission of the organization. Champion a culture of safety and promote meaningful engagement.
What we are looking for:
Schedule — Regular, predictable attendance, punctuality, and availability to work during operational hours as defined by leadership with the expectation to work varied hours including evening and weekend shifts
Experience — Customer service experience preferred.
Computer Skills — Comfortable with computers
Adaptability — Ability to work in a professional and positive manner with high attention to detail in a variety of situations and the willingness to assist at other sites.
Communication — Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, must have the ability to work as a team member and partner collaboratively with external and internal customers and departments.
Physical & Emotional Capabilities— The position entails: lifting, twisting, bending, and kneeling repetitively. On occasion, you may have to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspects of work in an animal shelter environment.
This position description is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Why Work Here
- Make a difference in the lives of animals and people
- Join a team of coworkers who love animals as much as you do
Please email an updated copy of your resume with the subject line Seasonal Kennel Assistant and what hours and days you would be available to work by clicking on the APPLY HERE button belowApply here
EOE/Must be 18 or older to apply
Veterinary Technician or Veterinary Assistant
At the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society, caring for animals isn't a job — it’s our passion. We are a professional, highly innovative team of people who share a love for animals, and we're dedicated to making a difference in their lives and the community we serve. The Public Relations//Special Event Coordinator is an exciting full-time role at the shelter to plan, coordinate and oversee fundraising events. This includes being an ambassador for the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society, fulfilling speaking engagements, and promotion of the shelter through various media. This individual will support revenue building with community and business relationships. This role requires a highly-organized, detail-oriented, and motivated person. The Public Relations//Special Event Coordinator must have a passion for event planning, provide outstanding communication to staff, sponsors, vendors, event attendees, and volunteers; be enthusiastic and professional, and capable of building strong and positive relationships. Hours for this position include day shifts along with evenings and weekends for events.
BA/BS degree in public relations, marketing, or special event-related area, of experience in Fundraising, Communications, Project Management, or other related experience that qualifies. Prior experience and references required.
Competitive salary plus benefits, fun work environment, the reward of making a huge difference in the Sioux Empire community, and fur babies to love and take care of.
Send complete resume with (3) professional references to KelliL@sfhumanesociety.com
Join Our Team of Animal Lovers! 𝐕𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐀𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐫 𝐕𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐧 The Sioux Falls Area Humane Society (SFAHS), located on Benson Road in Eastern Sioux Falls, is seeking a self-motivated, caring, and reliable full-time or part-time Veterinarian Assistant or Veterinarian Technician to join our medical team! In the role of a shelter Vet Assistant or Vet Technician, you will be responsible for overseeing the well-being of hundreds of animals on a daily basis. Early detection and communication to establish effective treatment is critical. Must be able to communicate well, and work closely with all members of staff. In addition to providing a safe haven for all animals that come through our doors, the goal of the SFAHS is to address overpopulation by spaying and neutering, along with educating the public. It is vital to our cause that our staff members are dependable and exhibit a professional demeanor at all times. *See job link for full job details* Full-time position includes rotating weekends and holidays. Part time position is primarily weekends. Work hours range from 8 am-7 pm. Full time employees qualify for a variety of benefits including vacation and sick time, PT position qualifies for some benefits too. Compensation $12.50/hour for Vet Assistant and $13.50/hour for Vet Technician (5 years of exp pay rate is higher). Join our amazing team and make a difference that fills your heart and others! Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org