Thank you for looking into joining our team!
If you would like to consider volunteering, we are always on the lookout for animal lovers willing to donate their time to the pets! Visit our volunteer page.
Kennel Assistants (FT, PT, PRN) Humane Officer (FT or PT)
At the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society, caring for animals isn't a job — it’s our passion. We are a professional, highly innovative team of people who share a love for animals, and we're dedicated to making a difference in their lives and the community we serve. Interested in a career working to help animals in our community? Helping a pet go from homeless to loved is an incredible experience and a job like no other!
Now hiring ambitious, reliable, and dedicated Kennel Assistants for FT, PT or PRN shifts to add to our team! We are looking for team members to grow with our team and be flexible when there is a need. Must have excellent work history and attendance. Excellent customer service and computer skills. Shouldn’t be afraid to get messy as this job includes working directly with animals as well as washing and scrubbing kennels on a daily basis.
Primary responsibilities: cleaning, handling, and working with dogs, cats, small animals, and eventually also cross-training in city building. It will include things like vaccinating, evaluating, dog introductions with adopters, some customer service, and engagement with the public. Lots of team cooperation and inter-departmental collaboration. Our Kennel Staff are a very important part of our shelter team, for the cleanliness of the shelter and health of the animals. You will get to be a part of the process of helping homeless animals find a forever home; a job where you get to be a hero! * These positions will be exposed to bleach on a regular basis, so it is important that you not have a bleach allergy. These positions will include weekends and some holidays. Schedule FT, Sunday-Thursday 8:00am-5:00pm; Part time schedule is weekdays and weekends from 7:00am-1:00pm; PRN to join our PRN pool.
* Must be 18 years or older and have good work history; be very dependable and hard-working.
Competitive compensation $11.75/hour plus we offer benefits and a fun workplace with an animal-loving crew, events to attend, fur babies to love on when the work to care for them is all caught up, it's kind of like having our own "pet therapy" for our crew plus jeans day is EVERY DAY!
Apply with us! https://jobs.ourcareerpages.com/job/566614?source=careers
Our Humane Officer role is a very key position in our community to will assist and provide services out in the field in accordance with municipal contracts to meet the needs of SF and surrounding communities. Perform duties that promote compliance with laws regulating animal treatment and their welfare.
FT or PT opportunity to join our team! Day & evening shifts; Hours vary depending on needs of department and coverage, rotating weekends plus on-call rotating weekends.
Compensation starts at $15.00/hour starting ($16.00/hr with law enforcement/corrections experience) plus we offer some benefits.
What you get to do!
Humane Treatment / Animal Control
- Apprehend, transport, and lodge stray animals.
- Enforce animal control ordinances as specified in contracts with municipalities.
- Prepare documentation/reports as required.
- Transport animals as requested by Vet staff
- Set up housing for incoming animals: put animal in kennel; provide food, water, blanket; place in system.
- Monitor all areas in the shelter to ensure a neat, clean environment at all times.
- Assist in euthanizing animals following established protocol.
Administration and Customer Service
- Document admittance and release as needed; document issues related to animal care.
- Enter calls in system daily, prepare a weekly report, and prepare monthly report to Executive Director regarding call log information.
- Maintain vehicle in proper/good working order; follow all driving laws and limits at all times
- Attend seminars and educational symposiums as directed by management.
- Educate the public (one-on-one or groups) on animal care and laws.
- Establish a working relationship with Law Enforcement and assist when needed.
What you need (Qualifications):
- High School diploma/GED required, Associates degree preferred;
- Criminal justice degree and/or law enforcement/corrections experience or background required.
- Previous experience in a kennel, Animal Control, veterinary, law enforcement or similar environment.
- Must be at least age 21+ for this role.
- Valid SD driver’s license and ability to carry appropriate insurance.
- Must complete National Animal Control Association, Level I, training within first year of employment, if has not already done so.
- General understanding of South Dakota statutes that apply to animal neglect/cruelty.
- Must be able to deal professionally and tactfully with customers and staff at all times.
- Must have good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to write concise reports and sound computer skills.
- Ability to work on-call on an evening and weekend schedule.
Competitive compensation plus benefits! Fun work environment with a summer picnic, holiday parties, community events, volunteering, fundraising, and of course a huge satisfaction providing great care for our "furry" friends.
Apply today at: https://jobs.ourcareerpages.com/job/566591?source=careers