If you would like to consider volunteering, we are always on the lookout for animal lovers willing to donate their time to the pets! Visit our volunteer page.
Humane Officer (FT) open all
The Humane Officer investigates animal cruelty and neglect complaints and provides services in accordance with municipal contracts. Performs related duties that promote compliance with laws regulating animal treatment and welfare, and performs animal care duties that include determination of adoptability and preparation for adoption. Hours may vary between 8:00am-5:00pm and 11:00am-7:00pm (hours vary depending on needs of department and coverage, rotating weekends plus on-call rotating weekends.)
What you get to do!
Humane Treatment / Animal Control
Administration and Customer Service
- Enforce animal control ordinances as specified in contracts with municipalities.
- Perform animal control and abuse investigations; prepare documentation/reports as required.
- Investigate alleged violations of state animal cruelty laws: work with various law enforcement and state’s attorneys; prepare documentation/reports as required. Attend court hearings as requested.
- Coordinate removal of animals from inhumane conditions: supervise staff and volunteers in this action; document animals confiscated, areas involved, follow up with veterinarians, law enforcement, state’s attorneys and defendants.
- Inspect establishments housing or exhibiting animals to ascertain compliance with humane laws.
- Transport animals as requested by Vet staff
- Set up housing for incoming animals: put animal in kennel; provide food, water, blanket; place in system.
- Monitor animals daily: note any signs of illness, change in eating habits, loss of weight, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Monitor all areas in the shelter to ensure a neat, clean environment at all times.
- Insure kennel areas are thoroughly sanitized throughout the day in a timely and proper manner.
- Prepare and place animals up for adoption: vaccinate, temperament testing, micro-chip, flea-test; data entry.
- Assist in euthanizing and disposing of animals, following established protocol.
What you need (Qualifications):
- Document admittance and release as needed; document issues related to animal care.
- Compile monthly billing for contracted counties and municipalities.
- Assist in reviewing contracts annually.
- Enter calls in system daily, prepare a weekly report, and prepare monthly report to Executive Director regarding call log information.
- Maintain vehicle in proper/good working order; follow all driving laws and limits at all times
- Attend seminars and educational symposiums as directed by management.
- Educate public (one-on-one or groups) on animal care and laws.
- Work with counties and municipalities regarding ordinances.
- Establish a working relationship with Law Enforcement and assist when needed.
- Facilitate Parole Pup program.
* High School diploma, Associates degree preferred.
- Previous experience in a kennel, Animal Control, veterinary, law enforcement or similar environment.
- Must be at least age 21+ for this role. Must pass a background check.
- Valid SD driver’s license and ability to carry appropriate insurance.
- Must complete National Animal Control Association, Level I, training within first year of employment, if has not already done so.
- General understanding of South Dakota statutes that apply to animal neglect/cruelty.
- Must be able to deal professionally and tactfully with customers and staff at all times.
- Must have good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to write concise reports and sound computer skills.
- Ability to work on-call on an evening and weekend schedule.
Full-time opportunity! Hours may vary between 8:00am-5:00pm and 11:00am-7:00pm but hrs vary too depending on needs of dept and coverage, rotating weekends plus on-call rotating weekends. Competitive compensation plus benefits! Fun work environment with a summer picnic, holiday parties, community events, volunteering, fundraising and of course a huge satisfaction providing great care for our "furry" friends.
Apply at: https://jobs.ourcareerpages.com/job/475606?source=careerspage